Pages

Friday 18 March 2022

Titus Andronicus: one of Shakespeare’s weakest plays, or a misunderstood play?

1/ First, let’s get the who’s who questions out of the way. 

Saturninus is son to the late Emperor of Rome, afterwards Emperor. 

Bassianus is his younger brother.  

Titus Andronicus is a noble Roman. He has a brother called Marcus, a tribune. Marcus has a son called Publius. 

At the beginning of the play, Titus has lost 21 sons for Rome, and his 4 surviving sons are Lucius, Quintus, Martius, and Mutius. Titus also has a daughter named Lavinia, who marries Bassianus. 

Tamora is the Queen of Goths (this is a Germanic tribe, not the goth subculture). At the beginning of the play, she is one of Titus’s prisoners, but Saturninus marries her (out of lust?) and makes her the new Empress. She however has an affair with Aaron, a Moor. 

Tamora has 3 sons: Alarbus, Demetrius, and Chiron.  

And other characters. 


2/ Titus Andronicus has the reputation as one of Shakespeare’s worst plays. The first impression is that that’s correct, in terms of language.  

Look, for example, at Titus’s speech to his dead sons: 

“TITUS […] There greet in silence, as the dead are wont, 

And sleep in peace, slain in your country’s wars! 

O sacred receptacle of my joys, 

Sweet cell of virtues and nobility, 

How many sons hast thou of mine in store, 

That thou wilt never render to me more!” 

(Act 1 scene 1)  

I know I’m being unfair and unreasonable, but it’s hard to look at that without thinking of the “Fear no more the heat o’ the sun” speech in Cymbeline

Or later, when Tamora’s son Demetrius and Chiron fight over Lavinia (who isn’t even single) and Aaron asks how they intend to “achieve” her, this is the response: 

“DEMETRIUS Why makes thou it so strange? 

She is a woman, therefore may be wooed; 

She is a woman, therefore may be won; 

She is Lavinia, therefore must be loved. 

What, man! More water glideth by the mill 

Than wots the miller of, and easy it is 

Of a cut loaf to steal a shive, we know: 

Though Bassianus be the Emperor’s brother, 

Better than he have won Vulcan’s badge.” 

(Act 2 scene 1) 

(Vulcan’s badge is the horns of cuckoldry, as Vulcan’s wife, Venus, deceives him with Mars). 

The passage makes me think of Iachimo in Cymbeline in its misogyny, but the language is much, much inferior. I couldn’t help thinking, is this really Shakespeare? 

But let’s not think of the late plays, when Shakespeare’s at the peak of his career. Even if you compare it to some relatively early plays such as Love’s Labour’s Lost, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, and Romeo and Juliet, the exuberance of language in these plays makes the language in Titus Andronicus appear quite coarse and simple. Anyone who names it as their favourite Shakespeare play is just a contrarian.

The opening scene is quite ridiculous. The only thing of interest is that it makes me think of King Lear, partly because of Titus’s blindness; Tamora’s calculating mind makes me think of Lady Macbeth, Goneril, and Regan; and Aaron seems to be a proto-Iago. 

Once in a while, there’s a curious passage. 

“LAVINIA Under your patience, gentle Empress, 

’Tis thought you have a goodly gift in horning, 

And to be doubted that your Moor and you 

Are singled forth to try experiments: 

Jove shield your husband from his hounds today! 

’Tis pity they should take him for a stag.” 

(Act 2 scene 3) 

That is when she and Bassianus catch Tamora and Aaron together—isn’t that very coarse for a young lady? 

“LAVINIA And, being intercepted in your sport, 

Great reason that my noble lord be rated 

For sauciness. I pray you, let us hence, 

And let her joy her raven-colored love; 

This valley fits the purpose passing well.” 

(ibid.) 

That’s coarse, no? 

This is also strange, when Aaron leads Titus’s sons Quintus and Martius to the pit: 

“QUINTUS […] What subtle hole is this,

Whose mouth is covered with rude-growing briers, 

Upon whose leaves are drops of new-shed blood

As fresh as morning dew distilled on flowers?...” 

(ibid.) 

“As fresh as morning dew distilled on flowers” is a strange comparison for blood. But look again—that is clearly a sexual image, that is Lear’s sulphurous pit. 

As I read more, I refuse to accept Titus Andronicus as a straight tragedy—it can’t be—if it’s indeed a Shakespeare play, it must either be a black comedy or a parody. Why? Look at the moment Quintus asks Martius, who has fallen into the pit, how he recognises Bassianus’s body if it’s so dark down there:  

“MARTIUS Upon his bloody finger he doth wear 

A precious ring that lightens all this hole, 

Which, like a taper in some monument, 

Doth shine upon the dead man’s earthy cheeks, 

And shows the ragged entrails of this pit: 

So pale did shine the moon on Pyramus,

When he by night lay bathed in maiden blood…” 

(ibid.) 

Surely Shakespeare can’t be serious! 

The scene of Titus meeting his daughter Lavinia after the rape however is sad. 


3/ I complained, but once in a while there’s an interesting line. 

“TITUS When will this fearful slumber have an end?” 

(Act 3 scene 1) 

This speech is also interesting: 

“TITUS […] Therefore I tell my sorrows to the stones, 

Who though they cannot answer my distress, 

Yet in some sort they are better than the tribunes, 

For that they will not intercept my tale: 

When I do weep they humbly at my feet 

Receive my tears and seem to weep with me; 

And were they but attirèd in grave weeds, 

Rome could afford no tribunes like to these.

A stone is soft as wax, tribunes more hard than stones: 

A stone is silent and offendeth not,

And tribunes with their tongues doom men to death…” 

(ibid.) 

In the following scene, Titus chides his brother Marcus for killing a fly, saying “How, if that fly had a father and mother!”, but immediately changes his mind and strikes at the fly because of its likeness to “a coal-black Moor”.  

“MARCUS Alas, poor man! Grief has so wrought on him, 

He takes false shadows for true substances.” 

(Act 3 scene 2) 

That’s a good line, but when I look at the scene again, a question arises: is Shakespeare serious, depicting Titus’s descent into madness (which prefigures King Lear), or is he parodying something in contemporary revenge plays and having a laugh? Is the detail of the fly ridiculous because the play’s one of the sins of Shakespeare’s youth (to steal William Hazlitt’s phrase), or because it’s deliberate mockery? 

It is hard to know what to do with Titus Andronicus, as some parts seem serious and some are just grotesque. Lavinia, after the rape, also loses her tongue and hands so she can’t identify the rapists. Two of Titus’s sons are wrongfully condemned to death for killing Bassianus; the remaining one is banished; and Titus is tricked by Aaron to have his hand chopped off and sent to Saturninus in the hope of exchanging it for his sons’ lives, only to see his hand sent back to him in scorn together with the heads of his sons. These are horrific scenes—are the horrors and savagery more like King Lear, or more like The Jew of Malta? I have no idea. But then comes this line: 

“TITUS […] And Lavinia, thou shalt be employed in these arms, 

Bear thou my hand, sweet wench, between thy teeth…” 

(Act 3 scene 1) 

That’s just ludicrous. The editor of my Everyman copy says that perhaps Shakespeare intended to delete “teeth” from his manuscript and substituted “arms” above it, then the compositor mistakenly took “arms” to be part of the previous line and changed “employed in this” to “employed in these arms”, but even if that were the case, the image of the father telling his handless daughter to carry his hand is quite absurd. And later, he says to her: 

“TITUS […] When thy poor heart beats with outrageous beating, 

Thou canst not strike it thus to make it still. 

Wound it with sighing, girl, kill it with groans; 

Or get some little knife between thy teeth, 

And just against thy heart make thou a hole…” 

(Act 3 scene 2) 

Here is another line of Titus telling Lavinia to do something with her teeth. I can’t take the play seriously—but is it meant to be? 


4/ Everything can be found in Shakespeare. 

“AARON Villain, I have done thy mother.” 

(Act 4 scene 2) 

HAHAHAHA. 

Even though there’s much absurdity, there’s much more sense in Titus Andronicus than in Christopher Marlowe’s The Jew of Malta. I also enjoy it a lot more. The characters are more individualised, and overall, more believable. 

Just compare the two villains Aaron and Tamora to Marlowe’s Barabas. 

Tamora is motivated by revenge and the sense of humiliation, as she was the Queen of Goths and had to kneel and beg for her son’s life, in vain. She also has to be more calculating with Saturninus because she’s an outsider. Similarly, her sons Demetrius and Chiron are motivated by revenge, and lust. 

Aaron is more like Iago in his motiveless malignity (to use Coleridge’s phrase). 

“AARON […] I played the cheater for thy father’s hand, 

And when I had it drew myself apart, 

And almost broke my heart with extreme laughter. 

I pried me through the crevice of a wall, 

When for his hand he had his two sons’ heads; 

Beheld his tears and laughed so heartily 

That both mine eyes were rainy like to his…” 

(Act 5 scene 1) 

What a sociopath. He also makes me think of Goneril and Regan—they’re evil just because they’re evil. But Aaron is not a two-dimensional villain with nothing but hate in his heart: there’s also love, for Tamora and their child. Barabas in contrast kills the man his daughter loves, and later kills her—there is no humanity in Barabas, no love but the love of gold and ducats.  

Shakespeare also gives him some thought-provoking lines: 

“AARON Zounds, ye whore! Is black so base a hue?...” 

(Act 4 scene 2) 

Later, to Demetrius and Chiron:

“AARON […] What, what, ye sanguine, shallow-hearted boys! 

Ye white-limed walls! Ye alehouse painted signs! 

Coal-black is better than another hue, 

In that it scorns to bear another hue; 

For all the water in the ocean

Can never turn the swan’s black legs to white, 

Although she lave them hourly in the flood…” 

(ibid.) 

Shakespeare must have thought about Aaron when he decided to write Othello

 

5/ I like that the characters in Titus Andronicus mention Hector, Brutus, and Coriolanus, about whom Shakespeare wrote in later plays. 

It also amuses me that there is disguise, as in almost every other Shakespeare play, but it’s the only play in which the disguise is so bad that the person meant to be tricked easily sees through it. It’s almost like Shakespeare is having a laugh, even if in later plays, he constantly uses the disguise plot device. 


6/ When I was reading the ending, my reaction was: what the fuck is going on? 

Is Titus Andronicus a serious tragedy? A black comedy? A parody? It should be noted that most of the most graphic and violent images in the play are classical allusions: they come from Ovid, or Seneca, or the story of Virginius. 

One thing I can say is that, whatever Shakespeare’s intentions for the play as a whole, he raises some interesting questions about the cycle of revenge. Titus demands the sacrifice of Tamora’s eldest son for the loss of his own sons in battle, then Tamora takes revenge, then Titus takes revenge, then what? They all kill each other in the end, but Lavinia, who has had nothing to do with any of it, also ends up dead. And even with the new Emperor, there is a sense of uncertainty about the future of Rome.   

19 comments:

  1. It is a weird play, and I think it's most like Lear of WS's other plays. There is some examination of loyalty to nation versus loyalty to family, but it does seem mostly the story of a prideful old man who sees his family as an extension of his own personality. Sometimes incoherent and full of grotesque violence, maybe, but I don't think it's his weakest play. I'd probably rather sit through Titus than As You Like It. Though about five years ago we attended a performance of Titus that leaned so much into the gore that we almost left at intermission.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, As You Like It, I think of that as a good one. I have even seen it live, performed by a too-young but enthusiastic group of Chicago actors in a basement theater.

    I suppose I would pick Henry VI, Part II - or Part III? - as the weakest play. Or Two Gentlemen of Verona, which come to think of it I have also seen, performed by an all-woman cast of college students. That was fun. So I'll stick with the Henrys.

    What really amazes me about the Marlovian Titus is that even that early it was only one of many modes for Shakespeare. Marlowe - and I know that I think his plays are much better than you do, Di - had one mode, one major theme. Shakespeare could, early on, do so many things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As You Like It is incredibly popular in Seattle. I think we've seen it half a dozen times in the last decade. I was charmed the first time, but now I just find it intolerable. If I could punch Jaques, I would. Hard, too. I could also go another decade without sitting through Much Ado, another warhorse that gets staged every season here.

      I might, were I being more serious, vote for Henry VIII as the weakest play. I recall it being incredibly stiff and lifeless propaganda.

      Delete
    2. Scott,
      Why do you want to punch Jacques?
      I've seen 2 film adaptations, but no production, of Much Ado About Nothing. I think a difficulty with it is to have the right Beatrice and the right Benedick, and that they must have some chemistry together. The 1993 film gets both right, the 2012 film only gets Beatrice right and Benedick has no charisma whatsoever.

      Tom,
      Oh oh oh Himadri would tell you you're wrong about then Henry VI plays. Apparently the BBC productions are good, but I won't see them till I've read the plays.
      Isn't The Two Gentlemen of Verona awful? That's what I've heard. What about King John or Pericles?
      And yeah, Marlowe had one mode (Marlovians always make me laugh).

      Delete
    3. What, awful, no. Two Gentlemen has Launce and his dog Crab, for example. It is merely trivial.

      King John and Pericles have their moments.

      I believe Himadri and I disagree about the importance of the "production." The recent BBC version seems to cut at least half the text, which would help the Henry VI plays a lot.

      Delete
    4. If you mean The Hollow Crown, Himadri hates it. We're talking about the Shakespeare series from the 70s-80s.
      Called BBC Television Shakespeare.

      Delete
    5. The new one has both Loki and Dr. Strange!

      The older one, the Brechtian production set in a collapsing adventure playground, looks like good alienating fun.

      Delete
    6. I don't care about Loki and Dr Strange lol.
      Their fangirls are a bit weird, I think, especially Tom Hiddleston's fans. Every single Tom Hiddleston video I've seen is full of comments like "ovaries exploded!!!!". That sort of shit.
      My impression is that The Hollow Crown is something that caters to "the modern audiences", and I'm not "the modern audience", so yeah.

      Delete
    7. A couple of years ago, we saw a two-night abbreviated production of the "War of the Roses" plays. It was pretty great. Though the whole Joan of Arc subplot was cut, darn it. I haven't seen The Hollow Crown. I'd have said it has Dr Who, not Dr Strange.

      Delete
    8. Oh I don't like Shakespeare to be heavily cut.

      Delete
    9. I was, indeed, referring to the older BBC productions of the Henry VI-Richard III plays, made in the early 80s with a more-or-less complete text. They are quite superb, I think. The sets, as you say, represent a children's playground that becomes increasingly dilapidated as the plays progress, and the country becomes overwhelmed by civil war. I don't think I have seen Shakespeare done better on screen. Rchard III, especially, is so much more powerful when seen as the culminating point of the vasy tetralogy, rather than, as is often the case, as a standalone play. (The Hollow Crown, in contrast, I thought was terrible, for reasons I won't rant about here.)

      As for the plays themselves, I have been revisiting them lately, and they really seem to me rather good. Part One is, I admit, a bit weak, especially the scenes set in France. It is clearly a collaboration, as scenes with fine dramatic momentum seem to co-exist with scenes that don't seem to have much dramatic purpose. But I do get the impression that as the project progressed, Shakespeare assumed greater editorial control: Parts Two and Three have a splendid theatrical vigour, and present a vast panorama of a country falling apart in civil strife Richard III is, of course, an undoubted masterpiece, and I certainly like to think that Shakespeare was writing this without collaborators. At least, there is no dramatic weakness I can spot, as there clearly are in the first part of the tetralogy.

      It's rare to see the whole thing performed, partly because it's a hard sell to get people to buy tickets for three nights at the theatre if the want to see all the Henry VI plays (and four nights if they want to see the whole thing) - and especially so when that first part is so weak. Sometimes, Parts Two and Three of the Henry VI plays are performed with some of the better scenes of Part One incorporated. That seems a reasonable compromise. But I do recommend that 1980s BBC productions: first class performances of plays that are surprisingly rewarding.

      Delete
    10. Yeah, I'm going to read the plays and watch those productions and see for myself haha.
      But "I don't think I have seen Shakespeare done better on screen."
      Excuse me, Trevor Nunn's Macbeth?

      Delete
  3. I happened upon the BBC Titus on TV when I was a teenager and it traumatized me. Some years later I read it, and thought it was actually kind of fun in its totally over the top way. In this respect, maybe there is something to the idea that Shakespeare was deliberately pushing the genre towards absurdity, as you suggest. I don't really consider it similar to Lear, but rather it's interesting to compare to Hamlet -- Shakespeare's other revenge tragedy. Though Hamlet really is the play that took the conventions of Elizabeth revenge tragedy and turned them upside down; changing a mindless bloodfest into a deep intellectual investigation of the human condition. What a difference a decade makes. I recall reading that Titus was very popular with Elizabethan audiences, which makes sense when you remember that this was a society that loved blood sport, in the form of bear and bull bating -- not to mention the entertainment of watching people drawn and quartered in scenes of public butchery that we can barely imagine much less watch. In that sense, the flood of pig's blood that must have overflowed the stage during a performance of Titus (I believe there are 14 on-stage murders) might have just been young Shakespeare giving the crowd more, and more, and more of what they liked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Titus as summer slasher film. I could believe that.

      Delete
    2. The thing I find fascinating about Titus Andronicus is that it's a bloodbath, but it's full of classical allusions, perhaps more packed with allusions than other plays? Or are they just more noticeable?
      It's not just "for the mass" like some people say, that's what I mean.
      I've just finished reading The Duchess of Malfi. That too is a bloodbath, at the end. But so is Hamlet. Everyone dies.
      Have you seen Theatre of Blood?

      Delete
    3. Vincent Price, yes, I love that one. And The Raven and The Comedy of Terrors, both with Peter Lorre. Good stuff.

      Delete
    4. I especially liked the ending of Theatre of Blood. It's so ridiculous hahaha.

      Delete
  4. The stagecraft of Titus works shockingly well, which might be all the company required at that time. But that the verse is so erratic, and so often bad, suggests to me that Shakespeare found the horror-piled-on-horror mode uncongenial; and he never tried it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possible. But I do think that Shakespeare was having fun with Titus Andronicus. Some of it is just so absurd.

      Delete

Be not afraid, gentle readers! Share your thoughts!
(Make sure to save your text before hitting publish, in case your comment gets buried in the attic, never to be seen again).