Pages

Thursday 24 March 2022

On my indifference to the Oscars

Watching the Oscars was to me, for a long time, a “family tradition”. But this year, I’m utterly indifferent—the ceremony is in 4 days but I haven’t seen any of the films. 

Among the Best Picture nominees, I might watch Drive My Car (because it’s Japanese), Belfast (because I love Kenneth Branagh’s Twelfth Night and Much Ado About Nothing), and The Power of the Dog (because I liked Jane Campion’s The Piano, though it was a long time ago and I don’t know if I would still like it now), but Drive My Car is the only film I may watch any time soon, even if it’s based on a story by Haruki Murakami. Licorice Pizza intrigues me a bit, because it’s directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, but I think he is hit-and-miss (hits: There Will Be Blood, Phantom Thread, Boogie Nights, Magnolia; misses: The Master, Inherent Vice, and worst, Punch-Drunk Love). 

As for the rest, Dune isn’t my thing; West Side Story doesn’t interest me (I haven’t even seen the original, though I will); I won’t watch Don’t Look Up because of my dislike of Adam McKay’s Vice and The Big Short; and I haven’t heard of CODA, King Richard, nor Nightmare Alley

When we look at films nominated for other awards, the only films I have seen are Joel Coen’s The Tragedy of Macbeth and Maggie Gyllenhaal’s The Lost Daughter, and I didn’t like either. If anything, I’d like The Tragedy of Macbeth to win Best Cinematography and Best Production Design, because it’s excellent (the cinematography should make people realise that Roma and Mank shouldn’t have won), but the nomination for Denzel Washington as Macbeth is a joke.

But why am I indifferent to the Oscars, especially considering my film background? 

There are three main reasons. First of all, American cinema is dead—it’s over. Mainstream Hollywood is dominated by franchises and superhero nonsense, crushing to death mid-budget films. For a long time, people have complained about the lack of originality in Hollywood, but it’s so much worse today, with remakes and reboots and sequels and prequels and origin stories and spin-offs dominating the market. The star system in Hollywood has been slowly replaced with the franchise system. 

The more “artistic” films in Hollywood are meanwhile distorted and ruined by political agendas.

For a while, I have had problems with modern (American) films, partly because they tend to move the camera for no reason and cut quickly for fear of boring the audience, and partly because film dialogue is now much reduced in quality. When you’re used to films such as A Star Is Born (1954), Casablanca, Room at the Top, The Heiress, Chinatown, or Billy Wilder’s films, in which every line is perfect and many are unforgettable, you can’t help noticing that film dialogue today is mostly banal and corny, often inane, and full of exposition. And it becomes much worse when distorted by politics. 

The second reason for my indifference is to do with the awards. After The Shape of Water won Best Picture in 2017, I could no longer take the Oscars seriously. Adding to that was the Best Cinematography for Life of Pi in 2012, Roma in 2018, and Mank in 2021. Others may mention the Best Editing Oscar for Bohemian Rhapsody, which was shocking. These are just a few examples. 

In recent years, I can’t help thinking, and I’m not the only one, that the Oscars are no longer about best films, but about the worthiest films—films about the most important social issues, with the most important political messages. With the move to make the Oscars more diverse and the announcement about quotas, the awards would just become worse and worse. People don’t seem to realise that with such policies and such announcements, any non-white winner would be seen as winning because of “diversity” and not because of merit, and the awards themselves would become less prestigious, and reduced in value. 

It’s similar to the way they now mix up Best Picture and Best Foreign Language Film (now called Best International Feature Film): it’s seen as a progressive move, celebrating non-English language films in the Best Picture category, but it’s actually much more insulting to cinema around the world because the Best Picture category is still dominated by American films, as though 9 of the 10 best films of the year are in English and only one film from the rest of the world made it to top 10. 

And finally, I no longer want to watch the ceremony. My mom and I watched the Oscars for years because we liked watching people getting celebrated for their achievements, but now the ceremony is heavily political, performative, and self-congratulatory. Now all I see is rich celebrities getting onstage and making self-absorbed speeches, satisfied with how socially conscious and progressive and tolerant they are, not knowing that they don’t live in the real world and don’t know about any problems faced by normal people. Last year I watched the ceremony, despite having seen only Nomadland, The Father, Mank, and Minari, and it was insufferable. I watched it and couldn’t help thinking of the quote by F. Scott Fitzgerald “Let me tell you about the very rich. They are different from you and me.” 

When I look at the way ratings for the Oscars have been going down and down over the years, I know I’m not alone. 

24 comments:

  1. I haven't watched cinema regularly in years. Partially, it's the effect of being busy and having kids. And in part it is, as you say, because most films are terrible. I do think, however, that in television -- particularly cable or streaming tv -- we see some of the quality that films have lost. I don't know how you feel about (or whether you've watched) shows like Sopranos, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Deadwood, Shtisel, Ethos, and many others -- but I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't watch TV series for years and only watched a few recently, so can't really say.
      Sherlock Holmes and Poirot were exceptions.
      Once in a while there's a new film I like, but it's often not American.

      Delete
  2. I watched the Oscars when I was a kid because my mother liked the glamor of it. I also, like a lot of Americans I think, thought that the film world was essentially Hollywood and "foreign" films were both rare and of lower quality. Now Hollywood bores me and I find the Oscars insufferable. Very few big budget films appeal to me. We've been watching a lot of comedies from the 30s, a lot of noir, and films from lots of countries that aren't America. Though most films produced anywhere are unmemorable fluff. On TV we mostly stream detective series (which are ethically problematic in that they usually push the message that police, even when they violate your civil rights, are on the side of the angels and we should give them wide latitude).

    Nightmare Alley is okay for a remake of a noir classic. The Power of the Dog is good if you don't care about plot. I haven't seen Drive My Car but I probably will. Don't Look Up was exciting and forgettable, Dune was great if you're already a fan of the novel (we aren't really fans, but it was an important part of our teen years so we take a nostalgic interest), and having seen the original West Side Story, I don't see any reason to watch Spielberg's remake. Haven't seen any of the other best picture nominees. I think Branagh is vastly overrated, so we might skip "Belfast." I've never had much interest in any of the other award categories. The pretense that movies somehow compete against one another is irritating, like the Oscars is somehow the Olympics. I tend to find most of my films on the Kino Lorber site these days. Stuff from all over, a lot of it bad but a lot of it good, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may well be amazed how much Uncle Vanya is in Drive My Car. It is on the edge of being an Uncle Vanya adaptation.

      Delete
    2. Speaking of awards, for a while I looked at Cannes from afar and thought it's so not my thing, but then I looked at the list of winners and actually liked a lot of them.
      I don't have a problem with films competing against each other, it's when films are awarded for something other than merit that I don't like. The Shape of Water is shite.
      About the nominees, how is Benedict Cumberbatch's accent in The Power of the Dog? I've heard things about it.
      I'm just not gonna see Don't Look Up because I very much disliked the style of Vice and The Big Short.
      You may be right that Kenneth Branagh is overrated, but I haven't seen any of his stuff apart from Twelfth Night and Much Ado About Nothing and I love those. His Twelfth Night is the closest to my interpretation of the play.
      I don't know what Kino Lorber is. In the UK, we don't have access to The Criterion Channel, so I use BFI, which has a mixture of great classics and pretentious shite.

      Delete
  3. Well yeah, the Chekhov connection is my primary interest in that one. Who is surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom,
    Am I going to miss out on a lot if I don't know Chekhov's plays?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "a mixture of great classics and pretentious shite"

    You should write their ad copy. That's pretty good.

    As an American, I think Cumberbatch sounded like an American. His character puts on a cowboy drawl anyway, an affectation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last year we saw something called Minor Character, which is six translations of "Uncle Vanya" performed more or less simultaneously. It was pretty great.

    Sonya explodes, "I am so pitiful and unattractive!" and Sonya agrees, "how terrible it is to be plain," while Sonya, alone, quietly wonders, "why aren't I beautiful?" All three reach for the same vodka. (from the play's website)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you mean about six translations? As in, six different interpretations/ productions?

      Delete
    2. Six different translations from Russian to English. I quote the website: "TRANSLATIONS BY MARIAN FELL, LAURENCE SENELICK, PAUL SCHMIDT, CAROL ROCAMORA, MILO CRAMER, AND GOOGLE TRANSLATE" Sorry about the all-caps.

      See more here. If I did the link correctly.

      Delete
    3. Ah I see.
      How long is Uncle Vanya that this one was 110 min?

      Delete
  7. Are you going to miss something - yes, actually, yes. Are you going to miss a lot - I doubt it.

    I will also say - "AND GOOGLE TRANSLATE" - ha ha ha ha outstanding, what a great idea.

    And I will continue to say: to my memory, I have never taken the Oscars, which are trade awards, seriously, despite for a time hosting Chicago's best Oscar party. The better the party got over the years, the less I watched the Oscars, because I was too busy hosting the party.

    I'm more of a "critic's poll" kind of guy. The Oscars are, or were (I haven't watched for a long time), most interesting as an expression of the functioning, and the psychology, of Hollywood. You know, how does Hollywood see itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed the Google Translate bit hahahaha.
      I watched the Oscars for years, so I think I knew the kinds of films that would win at the Oscars, and did like a lot of them for a while. But in recent years, things became worse, especially the ceremony.
      (What do you mean about Chicago's best Oscar party?)
      I think the quality of film criticism is also reduced now. If a newly released film has more than 92%, especially more than 95%, on Rotten Tomatoes, it appears suspect and I most likely would hate it. But I don't look much at critic's poll so don't know what those things are like now.

      Delete
  8. It is likely that my sense of what an Oscar film is, and an Oscar ceremony is, is long out of date. My first real memory of the Oscars is the Tuesday morning when a bunch of my fellow third graders were shocked and delighted that Rocky, a movie they had seen and liked, won Best Picture.

    In the Rotten Tomatoes era, the polls are perhaps corrupted, too. I don't know what has taken the place of the Village Voice film poll.

    As for Chicago's best Oscar party, I lived in Chicago, I hosted an Oscar party, and by the end it was a superb party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, I never understood why The Shape of Water won- by what criteria? Some "progressive" message, because it's a film about a deaf woman in the 50s falling in love with a fish thing? It's a stupid film, the villain is one-dimensional. Also, the camera was always, always moving, every single shot was moving, it was irritating.
      Who went to your party?

      Delete
    2. It was a nicely mixed crowd of forty or so lucky people, by the end. No industry people, if that's what you're getting at. Not Jonathan Rosenbaum. Not Roger Ebert.

      The criteria for the awards are not aesthetic, or only incidentally aesthetic. They are industry awards, voted by industry workers. Crucial factors are things like: is Steven Spielberg a good boss? (Yes). How nice is Tom Hanks to lesser beings? (Apparently extremely nice).

      And then there are politics, certainly. Does it feel good to vote for this movie or actor?

      Delete
  9. Hahahaha The Tragedy of Macbeth didn't win Best Cinematography, but the dreadful, not proper B&W Roma and Mank did HAHAHAHAHA.
    Fuck the Oscars.

    ReplyDelete
  10. MACBETH: Keep my wife's name out your fuckin' mouth.

    Maybe I should've watched last night.

    We watched Drive My Car on Saturday night. It was pretty good. A lot of "Uncle Vanya" but you don't really need to know the play to understand the film, which was about 1/3 Chekhov, 1/3 typical Haruki Murikami trying-too-hard-cleverness, and 1/3 Wim Wenders. There's a lot of Alice in the Cities in Drive My Car's cinematography. Which is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1/6 Wim Wenders, 1/6 Abbas Kiarostami.

    That such a Wenders / Kiarostami influenced film, and full of Chekhov no less, got anywhere near the Academy Awards continues to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No superheroes, no A-list stars, no Hans Zimmer soundtrack. And it's almost three hours long. All that driving and no car chases.

      I'd forgotten Kiarostami. He made so many films I haven't seen yet; I should do something about that.

      Delete
    2. Hahahaha. I want to see Drive My Car and The Worst Person in the World.
      Gonna skip Flee because ugh.
      My fb feed today is filled with just one thing. I wonder how long they're gonna keep talking about it.

      Delete

Be not afraid, gentle readers! Share your thoughts!
(Make sure to save your text before hitting publish, in case your comment gets buried in the attic, never to be seen again).