Pages

Friday 5 January 2024

Chimes at Midnight and the BBC 1979 productions of the Henry IV plays

Before commenting on these productions, let’s talk a bit about the plays. 

I love Henry IV, Part 1. I also love Henry IV, Part 2. It seems that many people only like, or much prefer, Part 1—an exciting play, full of banter and witty exchanges between Hal and Falstaff—whereas nothing seems to happen for a large part of Part 2. It is a play of disease and decay and death. The jokes are stale. The jester is jaded. But I love them both, and love the Henry IV plays as one unified thing, inseparable. In Part 1, Shakespeare depicts the friendship, the bond between Hal and Falstaff. In Part 2, he depicts each one alone, their wit unmatched and unappreciated by other companions, and builds it all up for Hal’s reconciliation with his father and banishment of Falstaff at the end of the play.

From the tetralogy, we can separate Richard II or even Henry V, but the Henry IV plays must go together.

At the heart of the Henry IV plays is the Henry IV-Hal-Falstaff triangle. Chimes at Midnight is a Falstaff film. Orson Welles uses material from the Henry IV plays (about 5 hours), with some bits from Richard II, The Merry Wives of Windsor, and Henry V; moves things around, changes the order of some scenes, gives some character’s lines to another; and creates a 2-hour film focusing on Falstaff. Perhaps I may have liked it if I hadn’t known the plays, but I know them. Chimes at Midnight is essentially an Orson Welles film with lots of supporting actors. The BBC’s Henry IV productions from 1979 have all the characters fully developed and well-acted. I especially love David Gwillim as Hal, Anthony Quayle as Falstaff, Tim Pigott-Smith as Hotspur, and Jon Finch as Henry IV. 

The only case in which I prefer a performance in Chimes at Midnight is Michael Aldridge as Pistol. 

I also think that Keith Baxter and Orson Welles don’t have chemistry as I see between David Gwillim and Anthony Quayle, and Keith Baxter isn’t very good as Hal (though to be fair, he doesn’t have much to work with).


More importantly, the greatest flaw of Chimes at Midnight is that Orson Welles sentimentalises Falstaff, removing much of his nasty side and turning him into a harmless fun-loving old man. Falstaff is one of Shakespeare’s greatest creations: he is full of life and warmth and charisma, with lovable qualities, but he’s also a robber, a braggart, an alcoholic, a coward, a man of no principles. The greatest challenge of staging or adapting the Henry IV plays is conveying that Hal’s banishment is necessary and inevitable, but at the same time showing why Hal is so fond of him and how much it costs Hal to reject him. It’s a delicate balancing act. I do think the 1979 productions succeed at it, largely thanks to Anthony Quayle and David Gwillim. 

David Gwillim is brilliant in the scenes with Anthony Quayle, Hal and Falstaff exchanging insults and witticisms at lightning speed. He is also brilliant in the scenes with other characters, showing Hal’s ability to adapt to different environments, to adopt the lingo of different interlocutors, to transform. 

I especially love the banishment scene. I watched Chimes at Midnight first and thought the banishment scene was perfect—the best part of the film—the look on Orson Welles’s face was haunting. But the scene in the BBC Henry IV, Part 2 is even better: the look of pain and shock on Anthony Quayle’s face is heartbreaking, as Hal says “I know thee not, old man”, you can understand why Falstaff would later die of grief and heartbreak, yet at the same time you can see on David Gwillim’s face that he’s killing a part of himself as he banishes Falstaff. 

Wonderful, wonderful productions.

It baffles me that the BBC Television Shakespeare from the 70s-80s is not widely available to the public. Is this not Shakespeare’s country? 





A darker note: I increasingly feel at odds with modern culture. I’m indifferent to contemporary music, contemporary literature, contemporary art, most contemporary cinema. My interest in Shakespeare feels like a niche. And when people now stage or adapt Shakespeare, they either fuck with the plays and impose some trendy ideologies, to be “inclusive” and “subversive”, or butcher the plays, removing vast chunks of text, to be “more accessible” to “modern audiences”. 

I’m afraid that the kind of things I love will no longer be produced, and the things I love from the past will one day be lost. 

22 comments:

  1. Oh yes, that is exactly my own fear, that the kind of things I love will no longer be produced and the things I love from the past will one day be lost. It's terrifying, actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. What's your name by the way?
      I thought you were my friend Himadri but you're not, hahaha.

      Delete
    2. Hi, I'm scott. I am not on any social media and don't have a google account, so that's why I posted anonymously. I didn't even realize I could post anonymously until I tried. Being mistaken for himadri is about the best compliment I can receive.

      Delete
    3. Hi Scott,
      Have we talked before?
      There's a third option, where you can write a name without a Google account (like Michael does below).
      Haha about the last line. I'll tell him.

      Delete
    4. No, I haven't commented here before. (Also, the other anonymous comments below are not me.) I just have been lurking for a year or so. I think I found this site from a comment in himadri's blog, actually. I've read a lot of the books that you read and love, but over the past few years I became very busy working and have limited my reading to shorter and more consumable works including a lot of sci fi from the 60s through 90s. I'm hoping to have more time soon and to immerse in Shakespeare again. I can't remember if you or himadri recommended Tony Tanner's Prefaces to Shakespeare, but I went out and bought a copy based on that recommendation, so thank you for that if you were the one who mentioned it.

      Delete
    5. Scott,
      Both Himadri and I have mentioned the book, but I mentioned Tony Tanner a million times on this blog so I'm going to take credit for that, lol.
      Hope you like it.
      Sad that you've been lurking here for about a year, as in 2023 I didn't blog much, compared to usual.

      Delete
  2. I don't know Chimes of Midnight well, only having seen a few scenes of it in a Shakespeare class I took in college, but I love the BBC Henry IV plays (and the Henry V that follows it) for all the reasons you say. Anthony Quayle is so touching as Falstaff, without making us lose sight of the fact that in the end he's a thief, alcoholic and conman -- although his love of Hal is very sincere, perhaps the most sincere thing about him. Quayle manages to convey all of this. Also, David Gwillim is a fantastic Hal. You can absolutely see how he is able to straddle such disparate worlds of high and low life and enjoy all of it. But there is a coldness and calculating nature in Hal that Gwillim also conveys beautifully. Finally he just has a wonderful, melodious voice (accidentally or not, Jamie Glover, who acts as Hal in the impeccable Arkangel audio productions has a very similar timbre, and at first I thought it was the same actor reprising his role).

    As for your your darker observation at the end -- well, lots of beautiful things are niche, but still live on. Most do. Classical music, jazz, art, Shakespeare, other great literature -- none of these things are really part of popular culture anymore. I tend to be optimistic though. I agree with you that live performances of Shakespeare are often nonsensical these days. Then again, in the 18th century, people carved them up and changed them, bowlderized them, gave Lear a happy ending and so on. So I have faith we'll preserve the great things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. A while back, I started watching the Antony Sher version and quit after a few minutes because - this may sound a bit weird to you - he was speaking too slowly. Anthony Quayle and David Gwillim are both fast as Falstaff and Hal, that's how it should be, they are both quick-witted and match each other's speed, so to speak.
      And yes, I think David Gwillim conveys very well the coldness and calculating nature in Hal. I like the look on his face when he looks at Ned Poins and asks if Ned indeed intends for him to marry his sister.
      As for the last bit, I know that Shakespeare will survive, Shakespare will prevail. My worry is that the good productions like the 70s-80s BBC ones will disappear, as the BBC think they've got The Hollow Crown now and that's enough, and most people don't know about them.

      Delete
  3. The future does look dark, and it's one reason I still invest in physical media - paper books, CD's, DVD and Blu-rays of movies. Once I have them they can't be erased or retroactively censored; they can't be taken away from me... at least not until whatever our equivalent of the Red Guard turns out to be kicks down my door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And one more thing - don't give up. You're not alone in your hatred of the ephemeral, pandering trash we're being buried in, and you're not alone in your love for better, higher things. Trust in the ability of great work to survive even this wretched moment, and know that what you do here is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but not everyone can invest in physical media - I can't, for instance - and not everything is available - certain things are quite hard to find.
      Thanks for the kind words though, Thomas.

      Delete
  5. Same. I have been loving all things old ever since I reached adulthood. Contemporary things..... seldom make any sense, especially times like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How old are you, by the way? Just curious.

      Delete
    2. I'm in my late 30s. Not that young but still not quite old, lolsss.

      Delete
  6. The BBC Television Shakespeare seems to be available on BritBox. What do you think of the more recent Royal Shakespeare Company's performances, which are on Marquee TV?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The BBC Television Shakespeare is available on American Britbox, but last time I checked, not on the British Britbox.
      I haven't seen any other versions of the Henry IV plays.

      Could everyone pick a name when you write a comment please? There are 3 anonymous comments here and I don't know if it's 2 or 3 different people lol.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your answer, and sorry for being anonymous. Your website is one of my favorites.

      Delete
    3. Oh thanks for saying that, Rob.

      Delete
  7. Regarding your "darker note," I share your feelings and your concerns. But I also agree with Mr. Parker's suggestion that we should "trust in the ability of great work to survive even this wretched moment," as well as his sentiment that "what you do here is appreciated."

    It is also important to place these things in perspective. After all, in each generation Beauty and Truth (are those words too old-fashioned to be used?) have been preserved for humanity by a relative handful of human beings. So it is now.

    Moreover, in each generation there is a human tendency (which I share) to think that all is lost. For example, consider this (I apologize for the lengthy quote): "a multitude of causes, unknown to former times, are now acting with a combined force to blunt the discriminating powers of the mind, and, unfitting it for all voluntary exertion, to reduce it to a state of almost savage torpor. The most effective of these causes are the great national events which are daily taking place, and the increasing accumulation of men in cities, where the uniformity of their occupations produces a craving for extraordinary incident, which the rapid communication of intelligence hourly gratifies."

    Wordsworth wrote this approximately 224 years ago, in his 1800 Preface to the Lyrical Ballads. But it sounds familiar, doesn't it? Nothing changes (except the technology, alas).

    What is one to do? At the risk of sounding quaint, we should all keep heart, and play our small part in preserving Beauty and Truth. I will repeat Mr. Parker's comment: "what you do here is appreciated." And I will add this: what you do here is important. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. That past generations too have worried about barbarians at the gates is often taken to signify that this is something we need not worry about. I take a different view: I think those past generations had been right - the barbarians really *were* at the gates; and we are equally right - the barbarians, a new generation of them, are again at the gates, and, as our past generations had done, we need to rally together to keep them out!

      Thank you for reminding me of Wordsworth’s preface to “Lyrical Ballads”. It’s a quite wonderful piece of prose: “savage torpor” is an expression I am sure I have recycled more than once in my own blog.

      Delete
    2. Stephen,
      Thanks a lot for the kind words (though now I feel bad because I didn't blog much in 2023 lol).
      Guess I should be more positive, but over the past year I've been in a gloomy mood, so everything seems like gloom and doom.
      I'm going to try to write more though.

      Himadri,
      I'm slowly turning into you lol.

      Delete

Be not afraid, gentle readers! Share your thoughts!
(Make sure to save your text before hitting publish, in case your comment gets buried in the attic, never to be seen again).