Pages

Thursday 2 January 2020

My quarrel with the Oscars

This post is going to make me sound like a contrarian. 
Academy Award for Best Picture: 
2018: 
The winner: Green Book 
The film I think should have won: The Favourite 
2017: 
The winner: The Shape of Water 
The film I think should have won: Phantom Thread 
2016: 
The winner: Moonlight 
Agreed
2015: 
The winner: Spotlight
Agreed
2014: 
The winner: Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Agreed
2013: 
The winner: 12 Years a Slave
Agreed
2012: 
The winner: Argo 
The film I think should have won: Les Miserables 
2011: 
The winner: The Artist 
Agreed
2010:
The winner: The King’s Speech 
The film I think should have won: The Fighter or Black Swan 
2009: 
The winner: The Hurt Locker 
Haven’t seen it 
2008: 
The winner: Slumdog Millionaire 
The film I think should have won: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button 
(Update in 3/2022: I watched again The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, and no longer thought so—the film lost its magic, so to speak, on second viewing). 
2007: 
The winner: No Country for Old Men 
The film I think should have won: There Will Be Blood 
2006: 
The winner: The Departed
The film I think should have won: Babel 
2005: 
The winner: Crash 
Haven’t seen it 
2004: 
The winner: Million Dollar Baby 
The film I think should have won: The Aviator 
2003: 
The winner: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the Kings 
Not sure, probably agreed 
2002: 
The winner: Chicago 
The film I think should have won: The Pianist 
2001: 
The winner: A Beautiful Mind 
Agreed 
2000: 
The winner: Gladiator 
Not sure, probably have seen it but don’t remember very well 
1999: 
The winner: American Beauty 
The film I think should have won: The Sixth Sense or The Green Mile 
1998: 
The winner: Shakespeare in Love 
Not sure, probably agreed 
1997: 
The winner: Titanic 
The film I think should have won: L. A. Confidential 
1996: 
The winner: The English Patient 
Agreed 
1995: 
The winner: Braveheart 
Haven’t seen it 
1994: 
The winner: Forrest Gump 
The film I think should have won: The Shawshank Redemption or Pulp Fiction 
1993: 
The winner: Schindler’s List 
Haven’t seen that one, but I’d go with The Piano 
1992: 
The winner: Unforgiven 
Not sure if I’ve seen it 
1991: 
The winner: The Silence of the Lambs 
Agreed 
1990: 
The winner: Dances with Wolves 
Haven’t seen it 
I’m going to stop here. 
The past few years at the Oscars haven’t been very good. I mean, The Shape of Water, really? It’s stupid. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, the film most people expected to win, I found quite corny. The good ones were Phantom Thread, Lady Bird, and Call Me by Your Name. I should see Phantom Thread again. 
Then last year, apart from Black Panther, BlacKkKlansman, and A Star Is Born, which I haven’t seen, the others were Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Favourite, Roma, and Vice, none of which was really good. I only preferred The Favourite to the rest, but I was glad Roma didn’t win, as it’s overrated (the film isn’t even proper B&W). 
The upcoming Oscars would be much more interesting, because of Little Women, The Irishman, Joker, and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be not afraid, gentle readers! Share your thoughts!
(Make sure to save your text before hitting publish, in case your comment gets buried in the attic, never to be seen again).