Pages

Tuesday 29 October 2019

Listening to Clifford Brown

These days I’ve been listening to Clifford Brown and Max Roach, thanks to David H. Rosenthal’s Hard Bop: Jazz & Black Music 1955- 1965. Look at these lines about Brown:
“… Clifford was far and away the best trumpeter of his generation. Taking Fats Navarro’s style as his point of departure, he breathed new life into bebop, making it sound as fresh as if it had just been invented. Like Navarro, Brown had a fat, ‘buttery’ sound and played long melodic lines that lent his solos a sense of effortless, flowing ease. […]
Brownie extended Navarro’s style. He played with more vibrato, especially on ballads; and at faster tempos he employed half-valve effects, slurs, and grace notes that gave his solos a wryly puckish quality.”
Clifford Brown & Max Roach:


Study in Brown:


I thought I’d never like trumpets half as much as saxophones, then I listened to Clifford Brown. These albums are fantastic. 
Then I listened to him playing ballads:
Clifford Brown with Strings:


I was amazed. His sound was soaring.
Here is Rosenthal again:
“‘Ebullient’, ‘effervescent’, ‘elated’, and ‘exultant’ were words applied to his improvisational style. His ballads were soaringly romantic rather than somber. […] The trumpet statement crackles with fire and swing. Tuneful phrases and shouts of pleasure fill every chorus. Rarely as modern jazz radiated so much sweetness, light, and sheer elan.”
It’s such a pity that Clifford Brown died so young.

6 comments:

  1. incredible technique all right, but it made me nervous... i'm more of a Miles Davis admirer, probably...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is probably because of my classical training, but so many notes makes the music seem meaningless...

      Delete
    2. a better response would be that so many notes interfere with the chord changes: it all seems like a basket full of sound without any organization... you might hear it differently, of course...

      Delete
    3. Tom would have a better response, I'm no expert.
      I just find that an odd complaint about jazz, haha.

      Delete
    4. Don't drag me into this. Well, go ahead.

      I would love to hear more about the school of classical training that attaches meaning to the number of notes. Notes per minute maybe? Wait until you hear Chopin's "Minute Waltz" played in a minute! I'm having trouble hearing how the Clifford Brown pieces you put in your piece have more notes than a typical Haydn string quartet.

      I have met an expert in "early music," pre-Baroque, who can't stand Romantic symphonic music. It all turns to harmonic mush for her, compared to the polyphonies she spends her time with. So I get it; it happens. We all train our ears in various ways.

      Delete

Be not afraid, gentle readers! Share your thoughts!
(Make sure to save your text before hitting publish, in case your comment gets buried in the attic, never to be seen again).