Pages

Tuesday 1 April 2014

Russian Literature 2014: I'm participating

http://beholdthestars.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/russian-literature-2014.html 

This is interesting. So here I am, I'm joining in!
If one counts the Russian classics I'd read, since 2014 began, before knowing about this challenge, then I've passed level 1: 
1/ "Notes from underground" (Fyodor Dostoyevsky) 
2/ Chekhov's 40 stories (Anton Chekhov) 
3/ "Fathers and sons" (Ivan Turgenev)  
Currently reading Tolstoy's short fiction. 
For the time being, I don't have a plan yet about which books to read (except that I must read "War and peace" in summer), and which authors. Nor do I know which level I am aiming for. But as a relatively new fan of Russian literature, especially because I regret not having discovered Russian literature earlier, I feel the need and the urge to read more works by Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky, perhaps Turgenev, and check out the works by Lermontov, Leskov, Ivan Bunin, Sholokhov, Gogol, Bulgakov, etc. (maybe even Maxim Gorky?)
The challenge itself is fascinating, because Russian literature is awesome (I doubt that I'll participate in a Scandinavian literature challenge), another motivation is pride- at this stage I do feel uncomfortable calling myself a fan of Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky, or even writing about them, comparing them. Also, only when I consider myself well-informed, and familiar, truly familiar, with these 2 authors, can I read "Tolstoy or Dostoyevsky" by George Steiner and "Lectures on Russian literature" by Vladimir Nabokov. 
I doubt that you care, but I'm asking anyway: Anybody with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be not afraid, gentle readers! Share your thoughts!
(Make sure to save your text before hitting publish, in case your comment gets buried in the attic, never to be seen again).