Pages

Saturday 31 August 2019

Jazz standard: “In a Sentimental Mood”

“In a Sentimental Mood” as performed by Duke Ellington (its composer) and John Coltrane is one of my favourite pieces in jazz. It’s tender, melancholic, and just wonderful.

Ellington and Coltrane are 2 of the greatest figures in jazz, and we also have Elvin Jones on drums. I’m a peasant, but even I can hear that the drums are great.
Here is the song with lyrics, performed by Ella Fitzgerald.

Much as I love her silky voice, nothing beats the John Coltrane version.
Today, I’ve just heard for the 1st time the original, performed by Duke Ellington and the orchestra. Here it is, if you haven’t heard it.

I mean, what happened? How is this the same one?

6 comments:

  1. i used to listen to jazz a bit and i thought Coltrane was astounding technically... but i was mostly into classical music, being one at the time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I see. Himadri's also more into classical music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. tx for featuring him, tho... anyone interested in music at all ought to be exposed to some of the jazz greats...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully it'll attract some people to jazz, haha. I just can't write about music though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, you could... not as a musicologist, but as a first impression of sorts, the reactions of an intelligent and discerning listener would be useful and interesting...

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I've just got 2 books about jazz from the library.

      Delete

Be not afraid, gentle readers! Share your thoughts!
(Make sure to save your text before hitting publish, in case your comment gets buried in the attic, never to be seen again).