Pages

Sunday 7 June 2015

One, Two, Three

Why is One, Two, Three not better known? It's hysterical! 1 of the funniest films I've ever seen! Quick-witted, "fast-paced, high-pitched, hard-hitting, lighthearted farce", "a yell-mell, hard-sell, Sennett-with-a-sound-track satire of iron curtains and color lines, of people's demockeracy, Coca-Colonization, peaceful noexistence, and the Deep Southern concept that all facilities are created separate but equal". The film is just as much fun being listened to as being watched, so instead of posting clips as I considered at 1st, which might not be funny out of context, I offer you some quotes from the film:
Otto: I will not have my son grow up to be a capitalist.
Scarlett: When he's 18 he can make his mind up whether he wants to be a capitalist or a rich communist.

Otto: Is everybody in this world corrupt?
Peripetchikoff: I don't know everybody.


Otto: I'll pick you up at 6:30 sharp, because the 7:00 train for Moscow leaves promptly at 8:15.


Scarlett: Do you realize that Otto spelled backwards is Otto?
Phyllis MacNamara: How about that?
Scarlett: You'll like him. He looks just like Jack Kennedy, only he's younger and he has more upstairs.
Phyllis MacNamara: More brains?
Scarlett: More hair. And of course, ideologically, he's much sounder.
Phyllis MacNamara: Maybe we voted for the wrong man.
Scarlett: That couldn't happen in Russia.
Phyllis MacNamara: They don't make mistakes.
Scarlett: They don't vote.


Otto: We will take over West Berlin. We will take over Western Europe. We will bury you!
C.R. MacNamara: Do me a favor. Bury us but don't marry us.

On 2nd thoughts, I'm posting this clip:



Regarding the question at the beginning, of course I know why. It's overshadowed by Some Like It Hot. But if you enjoy Some Like It Hot, you'll enjoy this one. If you haven't watched either, what are you waiting for? 






Maybe 1 day I'll be able to repress my excitement and enthusiasm, and write a decent post about Billy Wilder. Let's hope.

4 comments:

  1. Di,

    Sounds interesting. To be honest, I don't think I've ever heard of this film. Or, if I have, I have forgotten, which is very possible. If it's available through Netflix I will add it to my queue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the start of the film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bynmoUAkLo
      Do you recognise it?
      But you should check it out, if you haven't watched it, or watch it again, if you have. Hilarious.

      Delete
  2. Di,

    I found it on Netflix, but it's in the SAVED section, so it will be a while before I get a chance to view it.

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid, gentle readers! Share your thoughts!
(Make sure to save your text before hitting publish, in case your comment gets buried in the attic, never to be seen again).