Pages

Wednesday 3 June 2015

Ava Gardner photos (2)


ladylikeladyofficial:

Ava Gardner- c.1948

Ava Gardner photographed for One Touch of Venus (1948)

gatabella:

Ava Gardner, One Touch of Venus, 1948
gatabella:

Ava Gardner, 1940s
gatabella:

“Ava was always alive. Even in the depths of depression or anguish, she was terribly alive. And she could get heartbreakingly depressed. There were times when she couldn’t see people, times when she was so miserable, when life was so black for her. It couldn’t have been easy for anybody to have been witness to the depths of her unhappiness or self-loathing. She didn’t like herself.And so everyone felt wildly protective about Ava, and therein, of course, lies madness. The vulnerability was part of her great appeal. Everybody felt that yes, they could bring her some solace or help for whatever this bottomless well of unhappiness in her was. Well, of course, you can’t. But Ava didn’t take advantage of that; she wasn’t looking for you to be a nurse. Some people eat you up with that, but Ava wasn’t inclined that way. She was a loner. Like a bear, she would go off somewhere and hibernate.”- Roddy McDowall

elizabethrosemondtaylors:

“I was twenty-four years old. It is not an age when you pause to take a long and careful look at yourself. There are too many other things going on. But in passing I did do a little check. I had now been through two marriages, each of which, in terms of actual time elapsed, had lasted barely more than a year.” - Ava Gardner

“The truth is that the only time I’m happy is when I’m doing absolutely nothing. I don’t understand people who like to work and talk about it like it was some sort of…duty. Doing nothing feels like floating on warm water to me. Delightful, perfect.”

- Ava Gardner [Ava: My Story]
gatabella:

Ava Gardner
gatabella:

Ava Gardner


“On one level, all I wanted was to be an actress, and I often felt that if only I could act, everything about my life and career would have been different. But I was never an actress—none of us kids at Metro were. We were just good to look at.” 
-Ava Gardner
Ava Lavinia, 1940s
gatabella:

Ava Gardner
gatabella:

“Divine Ava…She’s the kind of woman you dream of, but, in her case when you wake up, the dream continues…She’s a perfect angel. I’m desperately in love.” - Mario Cabre, toreador and Ava’s co-star in Pandora and The Flying Dutchman
gatabella:Ava Gardner






a-moment-in-time-87:

Ava Gardner posing on the beach, c. 1945

“If I had to live my life over again, I’d live it the same way. Maybe a few changes here or there, but nothing special. The truth is, honey, I’ve enjoyed my life. I’ve had a hell of a good time.” 
-Ava Gardner
Ava at the Mocambo nightclub, around 1943




“Ava didn’t have to wear makeup. She had naturally beautiful skin, and great color to her lips. She dressed very casually…And there was no one who could touch that posture, the way she walked and presented herself. She was a sexy woman without trying. All she had to do was walk into the room.”- Arlene Dahl




gatabella:

Ava once met Charles Darwin’s great-grandson Francis at a Greek restaurant in New York and mentioned her honeymoon reading matter The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin; after their encounter, Young Darwin, who had been drinking retsina, said—adjusting his spectacles—that Ava Gardner was “the highest specimen of the human species.”
fybombshells:Ava Gardner
gatabella:

Ava Gardner

gatabella:

Ava Gardner, One Touch of Venus, 1948




gatabella:

“I still remember when she made the cover of some magazine. Frank looked at it and said, ‘I’m going to marry that girl.’”- Nick Sevano on Ava Gardner
gatabella:

In London one journalist, greeted by Ava on her arrival one evening, seemed all but sexually undone by the brief encounter:”Her perfume - a cloud of it, exotic, French - sent me into raptures!”- from Ava’s bio by Lee Server
gatabella:

Ava Gardner in Spain during the filming of Pandora and the Flying Dutchman, 1951 (she’s wearing an anklet, like Jean Harlow often did)
“If I could have been born again, an education is what I’d want. My life would have been so different if I’d had one. You don’t know what it’s like to be as young as I was then and know you’re uneducated, to be afraid to talk to people because you’re afraid even the questions you ask will be stupid.”-Ava Gardner
gatabella:

Ava Gardner, 1947
gatabella:

Ava Gardner wearing a hat by Walter Florell


gatabella:

Ava Gardner

“When I lose my temper, honey, you can’t find it any place.”




nickslynn:

Ava Gardner on the set of Show Boat (1951)
 Ava Gardner in a publicity photo for One Touch of Venus (1948).



Ava Gardner, 1951
kittyscollins:Apparently, I’m what is known as a ‘glamour girl.’ Now that’s a phrase which means luxury, leisure, excitement, and all things lush. No one associates a 6 a.m alarm, a 13-hour workday, several more hours of study, housework, and business appointments with glamour. That, however, is what glamour means in Hollywood. At least it does to me.
Ava Gardner c. 1949


Ava Lavinia Gardner
tinasinatra:

Ava Gardner, c. 1950
Ava Gardner and a dalmatian, c. 1947



Vivien Leigh: 
http://thelittlewhiteattic.blogspot.com/2012/09/vivien-leigh.html
http://thelittlewhiteattic.blogspot.com/2012/12/vivien-leigh-photos-2.html

1 comment:

  1. As a lover of beauty, this post has left me weak in the knees.

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid, gentle readers! Share your thoughts!
(Make sure to save your text before hitting publish, in case your comment gets buried in the attic, never to be seen again).