Pages

Friday 30 August 2024

Dangerous Liaisons and the epistolary novel

As I’m enjoying Les Liaisons dangereuses or Dangerous Liaisons by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos (translated by Helen Constantine), I’ve been thinking about the epistolary form. Sometimes it’s rather clumsy and awkward, like The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. Frankenstein too, I think. Sometimes it works quite well, like Dracula (series of documents in different forms) or The Moonstone (witnesses’ statements). The epistolary form can show different—and clashing—perspectives, like Lady Susan or The Lady in White.

But it’s in Dangerous Liaisons that I can see the author exploit the full potential of the form. We see the clashing perspectives. We read the sender’s words and imagine the receiver’s reaction, and if there is a second reader, also imagine the effect on them. We see the lies, the manipulation, the face-saving untruths. We read between the lines and examine the layers of meaning. We get different voices from different characters, but sometimes the same character—such as Valmont—can also put on different voices and play roles. We watch the schemer lay out her plan and embark on her project. We see the manipulator at work, as he explains his tactics and manoeuvres his way into a virtuous woman’s heart.

I think of Mansfield Park, for example. Jane Austen focuses on Fanny Price—she writes in the third person but always focuses mainly on one perspective in the 6 novels. It would be interesting, would it not, if we could enter the Crawfords’ minds, as Henry plays games with both Maria and Julia and also wants to capture Fanny’s heart but ends up falling for her, or if we had access to Maria’s thoughts, as she cheats on her dull husband with the charming Henry.  

In Dangerous Liaisons, we have two characters—Valmont and Merteuil—who are more evil, more demonic, more dangerous than the Crawfords. And it’s—should I say this?—thrilling to watch these manipulators at work! 


With Dangerous Liaisons, I have a situation similar to Anna Karenina: I watched multiple film adaptations before reading the book.

The 1988 American film: the film’s good; Glenn Close’s brilliant; but to this day, I still don’t understand how John Malkovich could have been cast as the irresistible womaniser. I don’t mean Valmont has to have good looks. Handsome and sexy are two different things. In the general sense, not in the should-be-cast-as-Valmont sense, Vincent Cassel is not handsome, but he is hot; Henry Cavill is handsome, but not charismatic; Tom Hiddleston and Benedict Cumberbatch aren’t particularly good-looking, but they’re charming. No disrespect to his acting skills, but I have never thought John Malkovich has the seductive qualities to play Valmont, I don’t buy it. 

Cruel Intentions: I frankly don’t remember the film, but it has always fascinated me that Les Liaisons dangereuses is moved to a modern setting and it works. 

Untold Scandal: I don’t remember the film (what’s up with my memory?), but I remember liking it. Bae Yong-joon is a heartthrob in East and Southeast Asia—he should be convincing as Valmont—I can’t remember. But again, it’s intriguing that Les Liaisons dangereuses is transported to South Korea and it works. 

Let’s hope I’ll have something more interesting to say about Laclos’s novel.

16 comments:

  1. This is a splendid choice. What literary connoisseur recommended this delectable work to you?

    There are very few epistolary works that exploit the potential of the form. _Clarissa_ is one to add to those you mention. It doesn't do it as well as Liaisons & Lovelace is less sophisticated than Valmont or Merteuil, but it's a good effort.

    The machinations of Valmont & Merteuil are remarkably thrilling aren't they? I thought
    so even when I was reading it as a youngish quite idealistic man rather in the Danceny mould (which I probably still am). I thought, these people aren't just evil, they are shallow & despicable & even rather pathetic, yet, my God I enjoy their company - they might just be the most fascinating people I have ever come across. Of course I was wrong about one thing: they are not shallow. Nobody shallow can get that twisted. And this becomes clear as the story unfolds.

    I will wait for your further comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Malkovich is a good casting by the way. I'm reaching a bit here as I'm obviously not inside female sexuality as you are, but Malkovich is ever so slightly effeminate & highly wheedling & I think both those things are true of Valmont in the book. He is not depicted as an Adonis. He is not Muhammad Ali or Elvis Presley or more to the point Tom Jones: at no point does he rip his shirt off & make women swoon. He has to work hard as a chameleon to seduce the relatively few women he seduces. Yes in the end he shows supreme "masculine" bravery a la Macbeth ( which brilliantly I think in the book is the one time he doesn't get to big himself up in a subsequent letter), but I think Malkovich plays that bit well. You can see the suicidal determination in his face. He's not meànt to be super-hot. He's meant to be super-mànipulàtive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean Glenn Close is good right? I don't remotely fancy her. And I don't remotely fancy Merteuil in the book either. That degree of cynicism in a woman is deeply off-putting. But I can believe Glenn Close easily fucks whichever men she wants , even though I'd rather not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're full of yourself, Hadrian. I have wanted to read Laclos for a long time.
    At some point, I might read Clarissa. It interests me, especially because I want to see if it has any influence on Jane Austen (Tom said it did), but it's soooo long. 1,500 pages? Of letters? Jeez.
    As for the casting of John Malkovich, I have anticipated your response - see my blog post again - I don't imagine Valmont to be Adonis. But there's something creepy about John Malkovich that makes me uncomfortable - I'm not calling him ugly, and I actually like him a lot as an actor - but I don't buy his performance. But this morning I looked back at my blog post about Portrait of a Lady, and there I was also complaining about John Malkovich as Osmond and Tom was disagreeing with me.
    And yes, Glenn Close is good. She's good in every film I've seen her in. Have you seen her in Fatal Attraction? One can understand why Michael Douglas's wild about her, until, well...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Creepy? Valmont? I mean, hell yeah? This is why I think Malkovich works. Valmont is extremely creepy. He's not irresistible; nobody is. One of the reasons he goes after Tourvel is to convince himself & the Marquise that he is irresistible, but in fact Tourvel is vulnerable & full of suppressed passion & that is a big part of why he succeeds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the clever things about the book is you THINK he's irresistible because you have the testimony of Cecile & Tourvel, the evidence of how he works on them, but if you take a step back from their letters, the Marquise de Merteuil, the biggest whore in Paris & one of the biggest In the whole of literature - SHE refuses him. Which is the central decision of any character in the book. Even a feminist could like it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But Merteuil is his former mistress, and she's clearly attracted to him - she refuses him for complex reasons, but partly because she's pissed off that he's in love with Tourvel. She also tells him that when they were lovers, he was the most charming man she had ever known. Malkovich's Valmont is never really charming.

      Merteuil also tells Valmont (even as she's telling him off, in Letter 81) that there's not a whole lot of merit to his libertine successes because he has good looks and charm. She also tells him that his success comes partly from the fact that he's generally believed to be irresistible (and therefore if Tourvel successfully resists him, his reputation is shot).

      I think there are a lot of ambiguities in the book, but Valmont being attractive to women is not one of them.

      Delete
    2. Now that I've read the whole thing, I agree with Cathy.
      Merteuil rejects Valmont because of pride, not because she doesn't want him sexually.

      Delete
  7. No, Cecile's mother says he has ruined many women. He has the reputation of a libertine, a womaniser.
    As for Merteuil, I'll get back to you after I've read the whole book.
    Just finished Part 1.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you not seen the film "Valmont"? It's been years since I did, and I had to go to Wikipedia to recall the major (and very questionable) changes they made to the plot, but I thought Colin Firth and Annette Bening were pretty well cast. Unlike Malkovich, Firth convincingly displayed both the cynical seducer and the weak man Merteuil could manipulate to devastating effect. Tourvel's vulnerability was affectingly projected by Meg Tilly.

    One more remark on film. I was intrigued by the way Cruel Intentions handled the Cécile character. In a contemporary setting, it was implausible that she should be totally ignorant of the sexual facts of life, so instead they made her a klutz, substituting physical awkwardness for naiveté.

    I'll be interested to read your comments on the rest of the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't seen Valmont. I didn't know about it until recently, and apparently the film as a whole is considered not very good?

      Delete
    2. Sorry, I saw the movie too long ago to judge it now. But I can assure you that Helen Constantine is a good translator of the book. I worked with her on editions of Balzac's "The Wild Ass's Skin" and Flaubert's "Sentimental Education," both of which I recommend to you.

      Delete
    3. I see.
      I have read Sentimental Education, can't remember which translation I read.

      Delete
    4. The Helen Constantine translation is probably the best of the ones available, but she mistranslates a couple of important passages in a way that alters their meaning, and I think some of her language choices are iffy.

      E.g., from Merteuil to Valmont, "Redevenez donc aimable" is rendered as "Be nice to me again." That's just ... wrong, I think. Not only does it change the line from one about Valmont's persona to one about his behavior toward Merteuil, but it also puts her in a weirdly .... I would say, almost subservient position toward him? I can't see Merteuil asking Valmont to be nice to her. I would translate it as "Do be likable again."

      Elsewhere she translates Valmont's "Vous êtes bien mauvais sujet" as, "You're such a bad girl!" I think the gendering of the language is totally wrong here - it (1) makes him sound patronizing, and (2) gives the line a sexual aspect it doesn't have in the original. There's another passage in which Valmont uses "mauvais sujet" to refer to them both, in a context that underscores their partnership as wicked people: "En verité, vous êtes cent fois plus mauvais sujet que moi, et vous m’humilieriez, si j’avais de l’amour-propre." "In truth, you're a hundred times more of a terrible person than I am, and I would feel humiliated if I had any vanity." I think "terrible person" is the best way to translate it, probably.

      Don't get me wrong, I think a lot of the time she does an excellent job. It's the translation I'd recommend (I've previously recommended the 1961 one by P.K.W. Stone, but a friend recently complained that she found it to be a slog, and having reread it I'm inclined to agree - some of the language is really clunky).

      Delete
    5. Re Forman's "Valmont": I think the casting was great, but the script... meh. Colin Firth captures Valmont's charm and nonchalance in a way that Malkovich does not, but both Valmont and Merteuil lose their dangerous edge.

      Delete
    6. Oh no, Cathy, now you're making me want to learn French.
      Overall, I did enjoy the translation. I liked that she used some of the words that we would find in, say, Jane Austen.
      Whom does Valmont say "Vous êtes bien mauvais sujet" to?
      I'll probably skip Valmont. I hadn't even heard of it until recently.
      Have you seen the South Korean film?

      Delete

Be not afraid, gentle readers! Share your thoughts!
(Make sure to save your text before hitting publish, in case your comment gets buried in the attic, never to be seen again).