Pages

Wednesday 15 June 2022

My 1-minute film: 1973: The End of the Affair

1973: The End of the Affair is a film I made in May 2022 for The Associated Press 1-Minute Archive Film Competition.

Participants had low-res downloads of archive footage from The Associated Press, and the three finalists would be provided with clean, high-resolution, and non-watermarked footage in order to create a clean version for the festival screening.

My film was not selected, it is therefore shared in its original state. Please ignore the timecode at the bottom of the video. The years in the bottom right however were done by me. 



6 comments:

  1. Terribly effective irony. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haunting. This is very well done.

    For how much it was still in the (American) national consciousness when I was a kid in the '90s, today it almost feels like a forgotten war. I recently ran into this archival interview with an American soldier in which he eloquently discusses his own experience: https://youtu.be/tixOyiR8B-8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I will have a look.
      But yeah, it feels like a forgotten war, except when people make some stupid analogy haha.

      Delete
  3. Very beautifully done. The name of the piece, and the repeated focus on the dates, is particularly effective. I expect you had no thought of Ukraine when you made this, but seems particularly relevant today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks haha.
      Actually I did think about Ukraine and Afghanistan.
      I'm afraid that my little thing may be too obscure for people who don't know much about the Vietnam War though.

      Delete

Be not afraid, gentle readers! Share your thoughts!
(Make sure to save your text before hitting publish, in case your comment gets buried in the attic, never to be seen again).