Pages

Saturday, 4 July 2015

#AskELJames

What do you dislike more, Independent strong woman or the English language?

Which do you hate more 1) Consent 2) The English language 3) strong Independent women 4) All of the above

you do realize that if Grey wasn't a billionaire, the 50 Shades trilogy would be one hell of a Law & Order episode?

If I stalk a girl and GPS her car, does that mean it's true love?

I need advice on making a BIG romantic gesture. Should I put a GPS tracker in her phone and make threats if she tries to leave?

What's your favourite shade out of the 50? Is there a chance that more shades will be added?

Is there a safe word which will stop you from writing anymore of this bollocks?

Do all these negative tweets sent to you seem abusive to you? I think it's romantic enough to be turned into a novel!

after the success of "Grey," have you considered re-telling the story from the perspective of someone who can write

what's it like telling millions of women it's okay to be in an abusive relationship as long as he's rich. Asking for a friend.

Can you confirm that you will be writing the story of Ramsay Bolton from his perspective, showing he is just misunderstood?

How on earth did Ana manage to graduate from university in the 21st century without an email address or a laptop?

Will you be rewriting the book from Stephenie Meyer's point of view next time?

Did you see the abusive relationship of Bella and Edward and think "hmm needs more abuse"

If your sons behaved like Christian Grey does towards women, would you be okay with that? If so, WHY?!

Is it only ok for Christian to stalk, coerce, threaten & manipulate Ana because he's hot, or is it also ok because he's rich?

Why do you continue to refer to what you wrote as a 'love' story?

How do you sleep at night knowing a) you're profiting from the romanticisation of ; & b) ignoring genuine abuse survivors?

Why did you say that those who see abuse in your books are doing "a disservice" to survivors, when many ARE survivors?!

If I tracked your cell phone and followed you to a bar, but I said it was because I was worried about you, would that be okay?

Are you going to take a cold bath later to recover from being so thoroughly burned on Twitter today?

Everyone is focused on the abusive aspect of your books, but have you ever considered that you are just a god-awful writer?

How does it feel to have actually written a worse love story than Twilight? That is real skill.

if E.L.James asks for these tweets to stop, does that mean she really wants them to continue?

6 comments:

  1. DI,

    No doubt she's crying all the way to the bank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know it doesn't change anything- she's still rich, and will be richer, and all that. But this is fun, if some people praise her and love her and call her the best writer in the world, she should be told by some others that her writing is unbelievably awful and romanticising abuse is not OK.
      Among the tweets, I saw one that called other tweets "abusive" and said that fictional characters didn't have feelings, E. L. James did, and that there's no ethical violation in writing a story. Ha! E. L. James was shameless enough to write and publish those books despite her absolute lack of writing abilities, she could handle it.
      On my part, tweets like these restored my faith in humanity.

      Delete
    2. Also, I don't like the argument "It's just a story", therefore E. L. James can write whatever she likes in it. The person who gets something published, i.e. gives something to the public, has a responsibility.

      Delete
    3. Di,

      If you haven't already done so, I would strongly recommend reading John Gardner's _On Moral Fiction_. I became acquainted with it through the good offices of a negative and slighting comment by the instructor who had made the comment--"who reads fiction for enjoyment."

      Gardner argues for the traditional view of art which he spells out very clearly, so nobody could misunderstand him: "The traditional view is that true art is moral: it seeks to improve life, not debase it." That quotation is from the third page of the text, so the reader knows early on just what to expect.

      Thanks for reminding me of it, for I haven't read it in years, and I think I need a booster shot of common sense and common decency.

      Delete
    4. I haven't read it. Thanks for the recommendation.
      Do you agree with him?

      Delete
    5. Di,

      It's been a long time since I read him, so I will say that overall or in general, I do, but I no longer remember any disagreements, if any, I may have had with what he argues for.

      Delete