Pages

Tuesday, 12 November 2013

Actresses I irrationally (or rationally?) dislike

1/ Keira Knightley
2/ Kristen Stewart
3/ Charlotte Gainsbourg
4/ Maggie Gyllenhaal
5/ Miley Cyrus
6/ Megan Fox
7/ Carey Mulligan
8/ Renee Zellweger
9/ Anna Kendrick
10/ Catherine Deneuve
11/ Elizabeth Taylor
12/ Scarlett Johansson
13/ Jennifer Aniston
14/ Chloe Moretz
15/ Naomi Watts 



Notes:
a) Actresses that almost make the list: Emma Stone, Greta Garbo, Emily Watson, Vanessa Hudgens, Zhang Ziyi, Shu Qi, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Sarah Jessica Parker, Mia Wasikowska...
b) Actresses lots of people dislike that I don't have problems with: Anne Hathaway, Natalie Portman, Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jessica Alba, Julia Roberts, Emma Watson, Cameron Diaz, Zooey Deschanel, Sandra Bullock, Anna Paquin, Winona Ryder, Nicole Kidman...
c) Actresses I used to dislike that now I'm OK with: Kate Winslet, Reese Witherspoon, Cameron Diaz, Uma Thurman, Frances McDormand...
d) Actresses I love: Vivien Leigh, Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett, Marion Cotillard, Audrey Tautou, Rita Hayworth, Ingrid Bergman, Audrey Hepburn, Sophie Marceau, Monica Bellucci, Maggie Cheung, Nicole Kidman, Natalie Portman, Anne Hathaway, Juliette Binoche, Julianne Moore...

Further comments:
http://cdn.crushable.com/files/2012/11/emma-stone-face.gifThe reason I use the word "irrationally" in the title is that, even though I know why I dislike an actress, I can't make you understand if you don't share the same feeling; can't explain why I dislike that actress and not some others who have similar flaws. Besides in some cases the causes I may provide may not be valid reasons for my intense dislike, which I feel for the 3 1st persons. I believe my dislike usually results from a combination of factors, though some of them may be unknown to me. And it's certain that the feeling of dislike is intensified by the high frequency that actress appears (and ruins good roles).
Take Emma Stone, at this point I simply don't like her but if she appears more often and always acts that same way and uses those same facial expressions and gestures, she'll definitely join the other 15 actresses in the list.
But because I do not give my reasons and do not attempt to rationalise it, I hope you won't, either. You may find it tempting to simplify this by accusing me of envy, but there's hardly any envy here. Because:
i) These actresses are no more successful and acclaimed than the ones I love.
ii) There are other actresses out there who can hardly act but with whom I don't have any problem: Jessica Alba, Olivia Wilde, Christina Ricci, Saoirse Ronan... In fact I even like some of them: Marilyn Monroe, Sophie Marceau... 
So, call me a hater, call me an antifan, but there's no envy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment